In 1953, Garland Knight and David Himick opened Himight Sling Fabricators on Lafayette Street in Detroit, Michigan. Within a few years, the company began growing and eventually changed its name to Commercial Wire Rope & Sling. In 1964, the company moved into a larger facility on Grand River Ave.
Over the next two decades, the company expanded its product line and geographic reach. After surviving the Detroit riots, the company opened branches in Flint and Toledo. During this period, a sister company, Detroit Chain Products, was established to manufacture chain slings and other related chain and web products.
In 1985, Garland Knight bought out his partner and continued the growth strategy. Industrial Cable & Sling was purchased in 1988. The Ohio operations were also expanded with the opening of a branch in Dayton in 1999 and the purchase of Great Lakes Supply in Cleveland in 2000. All the companies were ultimately consolidated into one holding company, The Commercial Group. Garland Knight continued as chairman of the company while his son, Gar Knight, took over as President. The Detroit administrative and manufacturing operations were moved into a state-of-the-art facility in Taylor, Michigan in 2008.
In 2014, Gar Knight purchased Hessville Cable & Sling Company in Gary, Indiana. With this acquisition in the Chicagoland area, Commercial Group Lifting Products continues to grow and expand its reach across the Midwest. This acquisition allows Commercial Group to better serve current customers and offer new opportunities to prospective customers.
Today, the company is one of the largest manufacturers of lifting and rigging devices in the country, with plants located throughout the Midwest and a national sales presence. The goal remains the same: to provide the highest quality service to the customers while providing creative and innovative solutions to rigging and hoisting problems.